Coach

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
cp_coach! Part of my planned quartet of maps, cp_coach, ctf_ellis, cp_nick, and arena_rochelle (I hate arena.)

The map is set in a winter/industrial theme, and its a dustbowl style 3 stage a/d cp map. I'm aiming to release each stage seperately.

It's also my first map with optimisation, now that I get how it works :blushing:

Enjoy! I hope to actually finish this some day.

Last edited:

DjD

L5: Dapper Member
May 18, 2010
as I already told you in the other thread, this really looks like a map to have alot of fun with.
I am going to download and test it as soon as I finish my map for the 72h contest.
Keep up the awesome work !

Mar 23, 2010
dont hate on rochelle.

redcommunism

L2: Junior Member
Feb 13, 2010
Everything seems to be too big or too spaced out. This map needs barriers; Otherwise, it would be to easy for something like a sentry or heavy to gain control.

Bermuda Cake

Feb 20, 2009
aaaaaaaaaah
she's boring and has no particular character traits, and her pain sounds are annoying. Maybe if valve had developed her more as a ruthless, career orientated news presenter she would've been a bit more interesting.

A friend had a run through of the map, and scale is definitely an issue. I'm very happy with the scale of cp_1, but everything else, not so much. cp 2 will probs need some scale changes, but the general layout is pretty good, if I do say so myself.

Aug 10, 2009
Funny story-- Off topic is for this sort of (pointless) debate. Here's some feedback from the pictures before I get to work on my seventy two hour ;)

In screenshot two, that little basin you have to the right is going to be a death zone. Why? You have the upper pathway looking down on it (from the upper right), and you have that transition area looking down on it. I would definitely add some cover around that middle area to seclude it from the others, because it could have a nice function as a chokepoint between those two areas.

As you know, scale is definitely an issue, as well as your open space. Scale is easy, but open space can only be changed by either editing the geometry to intrude in that space, adding something to make the space more interesting, or severely shrinking that particular area of the map to reduce the space (unless this was your original intention, I would not suggest it)

Bermuda Cake

Feb 20, 2009
I have a few ideas about scale and openness... I'm gonna change some bits, add some cover, and shrink some bits that aren't as important for gameplay (like the area around blue's spawn)

Bermuda Cake

Feb 20, 2009
The trench area at the second point looked like it could be far too much of a choke point, as well as the fact that there would only be 2 entrances to the area. I took out the stairs and made the trench a tunnel area, to make it more of a viable option:

cp_coach_s1_cp_2.png

Bermuda Cake

Feb 20, 2009
Alpha 2

Alpha 2 is out! Featuring such wonders as:

A door that actually opens for the blue team! (ooooh)
Some health and ammo packs! (aaaah)
Less horrible sightlines! (EAAAAAAAAHEAEH)