Goldrush and Badwater's development - pics!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
So I sent a few more questions off to Dario Casali and he sent back a responce and some pictures of early goldrush and badwater alphas.

Here's what he had to say:
Dario said:
Whilst I think another mammoth set of questions is unlikely I've collected a few more that have popped up since the first lot:

-You're able to modify your maps and have them tested in a very short space of time, do you utilise this ability and produce many, many versions or do you tend to conserve changes so each version is significantly different to the previous?

Earlier on in a map’s cycle, changes will be larger, but as a map progresses, we tend to prefer small, fast iterations between frequent playtests.
Sometimes it takes more data to decide on bigger issues. For example, for Goldrush, we spent quite a few playtests collecting opinions on the return time delay of the cart. Instead of making small changes that may not have been appreciable by the testers, we collected a series of observations that ultimately led to one change (reducing the return delay time from 60 to 30 seconds) that ended up working pretty well.

-It's been hinted at in an interview that valve are working on a new payload map for a future update, are you keeping the payload gamemode to yourself or allowing someone else to take the reins?

I can’t give away our upcoming releases but I’m working on another map that you will learn about shortly!

-Several users, including myself, have expressed an interest in seeing early screenshots from the development cycle to see what sort of things have changed; do you have anything like this?

I’ve attached some screenshots of early stages in Badwater Basin and Gold Rush. As you can see, they both changed a huge amount from initial concept to shipping version!!

-When roughing out maps initially what influences where you place health and ammo packs, and what sizes they are?

There aren’t really hard and fast rules for where to place packs, I usually guess at where the SG positions will be and put metal there. The amount of metal depends on how easily I want the SG built and maintained there. Also to consider is spy cloak recharge and heavy weapons ammo. Health packs are usually small near the base, and larger in contested spaces. I usually don’t like to put much health in the SG metal areas so they don’t become impregnable.

-Do you always approach mapping alone or are there occasions when tackling a map as a pair or small team works better?

Usually it’s one guy at a time, except when it’s time for the art pass, at which point, a couple of others will jump in and help. We find the best thing to do is to discuss playtests as a team, identify problems, and some potential solutions. Then the map owner has the discretion of fixing the issues the way they see fit. The map builder usually knows the map best and can make more educated tradeoff decisions. As long as the issues that are brought up are addressed, the actual solutions can be implemented by one person.

Really appreciate you answering so many questions; you've been great, thanks!

And here are the pictures:

3252897277_f4a3f659ce_o.jpg

3253724172_397fe25091_o.jpg

3252897503_f6844a7f6b_o.jpg

3253724430_09a6b22219_o.jpg

3253724528_e5f8e1a8fa_o.jpg

3253724610_038e2c4c32_o.jpg

3252897933_8cd7d986fb_o.jpg

3253724808_64c3044961_o.jpg

Last edited:

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Cool

2nd pic zone has changed a lot!

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
I’ve attached some screenshots of early stages in Badwater Basin and Gold Rush. As you can see, they both changed a huge amount from initial concept to shipping version!!

Actually, I'm surprised at how little they've changed. Most of the changes seem to have been cosmetic from this point in development.

Thanks for sharing Youme.

Feb 14, 2008
Gold rush really looks like a Hunted map.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I think they were planning that way.

Payload was supposed to be their response to players demanding a "Hunted" mode, so they may have had other versions entirely.

Thanks youme, this was great.

I'm surprised at how much different they are! They have bunkers everywhere!

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
So they were planning some sort of arabic art style/architecture for goldrush?

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
Eww, castles.

Anyway, Dario is great :D It's awesome that he keeps answering our questions :)

/EDIT, Wow, yeah, Goldrush really looks like a hunted map :eek: Those cap points, that's not payload caps.

Last edited:

Username

L2: Junior Member
Aug 26, 2008
Wow. Goldrush made me think I was in Prince of Persia. It's kind of encouraging, seeing the maps this early. That looks like how far I've gotten in mine. :D

EDIT: On second glance, it looks like Goldrush was originally a flag push map. Interesting.
EDIT2: Do we have those white dev textures? Spiffy! :D

Last edited:

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
Hunted is comming soon

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
Wow, that looks so different then the final.

/captain obvious =p

ClydeJr

L1: Registered
Oct 30, 2008
I recognize where all the shots come from except the 2nd one. Is that Goldrush 3-1?

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I'm more and more beginning to think this used to be a flag push map ala Avanti.

If you take a look at where the payload usually spawns in pic 2 and 4, you see a plank platform instead. The end cap is too small for a CP, and the tracks couldn't fit through the paths in the 1st pic.

ratclaw

L2: Junior Member
Feb 2, 2009
With a few exceptions the basic structure of the map seems unchanged. I was kinda expecting something looking radically different.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Looks like for Gold Rush they just ported a TFC map, put in TF2 style displacements, and tested it from there...

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
And now we need to make a push_goldrush now :D.

Sorry, but I like the way it looks! We need it!

dirtyminuth

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 5, 2007
Great info, Youme! We're peering into the hearts and minds at Valve, and it looks good. Delicious, one might say.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yea, gosh. Those development pics remind me so much of the old TFC desert maps. It's uncanny. A much more informative response this time too.

I was hoping to see early development pics of the first area of Badwater, but i guess we can't have everything! :p

I'm glad i checked around, otherwise i would have missed this.