1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

• Center Save Changes Reset

pass_snowylake a3

Snowy PASS Time map with a train.

1. FrostHoneyJuice

FrostHoneyJuice L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    72hr PASS Time Map
    Snowy & Cozy

pass_snowylake - Snowy PASS Time map with a train.​

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  2. FrostHoneyJuice

Positive Ratings:
    The very first version had some broken entities for the RED team, making the gameplay unfair. I already know what's wrong with the map, but I would like to see another test with these minor changes.

Changes for A2:
    • Added a version number to this map file. Hope you're happy!
    • Added clipping for the location of some trees.
    • Added blockbullet brushes for some wired brushes.
    • Added some wired brushes on the walls next to the attack spawns, so classes like Scout, Soldier and Demo don't jump them over.
    • Added frames for the windows so it's easier to tell that you're looking at the actual windows.
    • Added trigger_push entities on trees and on the bonus goals.
    • Added two fences next to the bonus goal and the small lake.
    • Sealed one giant crate completely while also removing one small health kit in it.
    • Reduced the size of the jump-pads next to the attacking spawns.
    • Reduced the time for spawning.
      • Hopefully that won't be an issue anymore.
    • Fixed RED Resuply lockers and doors working only for BLUs.
    • Fixed an invisible glass in certain areas.
    • Fixed the train not killing the player sometimes.
    • Fixed the train not showing the lights.
    • Fixed the train getting stuck by the JACK.
    • Fixed the train getting stuck by the player.
    • Fixed the time for when the train gates open and close.
    • Fixed some lights facing the opposite way on the RED side.
    • Removed collisions from lanterns in the caves, so they don't stop you while running and jumping as Scout.
    • And maybe more.
    The map still doesn't display goals on the HUD. If someone knows the solution, please message me straight away.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  3. MTD

MTD L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Good to see Pass Time getting more maps made.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. FrostHoneyJuice

Positive Ratings:
    The experience with dealing broken HUD so far.

So like I have said before, the map has the HUD. It kinda works, but it refuses to display goals. Currently my map has 2 normal goals, 1 walk-in goal and 1 bonus goal on each side.

Not long ago, I've tried to remove one normal goal on each side, and apparently that forced the HUD to show the remaining goals. I feel like I've missed something. However, when I copied & pasted special a normal goal in the prefab (which has 1 normal goal, 1 walk-in goal and 1 bonus goal) on each side, the HUD doesn't erase all of the goals at all. It's hella confusing in this case. Not only that, but the BLU pasted special goal didn't appear on the HUD at all. Only RED pasted special goal appeared. That's just feels so wrong on so many levels.

This whole situation is just making me feel quite depressed due to having little or no proper documentation about the goals and the HUD in PASS Time. All I have is this outdated page about the entities of this gamemode. I seriously don't wanna work with only one normal goal (on each side) in my map.

5. FrostHoneyJuice

Positive Ratings:
    It's kind of funny, but sometimes sad. Some people love my map, some people hate it. I might I understand their love, but I might find it hard to understand their hate. I gotta say this, it's really stupid to hate the map based on the game mode. The map is new. It's still in the testing phase and some players just refuse to play just because it's PASS Time. It's really stupid to behave like that without giving the map a chance.

Despite that hate which didn't make any sense whatsoever, the majority of folks who actually play-tested it properly and truly loved it, have said in the public that the map is completely different while comparing to other existing official PASS Time maps; It brings a new unique gameplay to the mode and is more fun to play in general. I was actually quite happy to hear someone actually saying, "I love this map", with an uplifting voice. It gave me hope to continue the development of this map.

However, some folks have said that the map feels quite tight. That kind of made me a little bit worried.

By looking at the existing PASS Time maps, I understood that some official maps are wide as hell - using big dangerous sightlines which give big opportunities to snipers. So I thought to myself: "You know what? Let's just accept this wideness in this gamemode." The back area on each side of my map is pretty wide already, so I might not even bother listening to someone saying that these areas are wide.

So because of tightness and understanding that PASS Time maps are wide in general, I decided to build balconies on the roofs for each team with a hope that people wouldn't mention the tightness again. Although, I still think they will say it; I hope that the players will actually think with their heads on what to do while playing the map instead.

What also concerns me are the bonus goals. They were meant for slamming the JACK just like you would slam a basketball into the basket. If you stand on the crates or even on the lake, you can try to score the bonus goal. However, if a player would actually be standing there and begin trying to score a goal there, I would actually start questioning the team balance between two teams. To prevent that from happening, I decided to add trigger_push entities surrounding the hole in hopes that players won't abuse the bonus goal this much. Will it work? I don't know.

Now the biggest part. Trees. Specifically pines. You see, the trees like pines aren't really used anywhere in the good maps. They are mostly placed in the areas where players can't run around. Players in the A2 version players have complained about them mostly in the mid part of the map. They are gone now in the A3 version. Although they're a lot of them in the back areas. I decided to ask a friend about the trees. To be very honest with you, he doesn't really play TF2 that much and has little experience in the game. However, when he was running around, play-testing my map by himself in the map, he was just all like: "You know what? If someone hates those trees, it's their problem. They are really good for cover." I am not sure how normal TF2 players would feel about this and should I actually take these trees seriously, but if I am gonna do remove them, what am I gonna replaced them with? These trees block the sightlines in certain places which is really good from a distance. Although if someone gets close to them, they can't see anything. If someone remade these existing pine models, so the leaves are a bit higher and they don't get in anyone's sight while walking on the ground, that would be a perfect experiment. But still, I don't know if I should actually bother myself with those pines. Maybe as of now, they are completely fine, so there's no need to touch them. I dunno really. Go test the map. And please, be being respectful to it.

Changes for A3:

• Reworked Mid completely.
      • The area has been widened on each side.
      • Added balconies on each side of the team.
      • Added a new room on each side.
      • Added new props and some small health kits.
      • Added "No Build" brush under the ball spawner.
      • Replaced a big health pack with a medium health pack in the mid.
      • Reduced the size of the high ground to 256.
      • Reduced the size of the lake.
      • Reduced the size of the jump-pads.
      • Removed some trees.
    • Added more clipping for smoothing and blocking.
    • Replaced "No Entry" signs in the BLU side with BLU colored spawn signs.
    • Adjusted the size of certain jump-pads and the ways where they launch players.
    • Adjusted "trigger_push" entities on the bonus goals.
    • Fixed some issues related to goals.
    • Fixed some lights facing the wrong direction in the RED side.
    • Fixed certain props facing the wrong direction in the RED side.
    • Fixed HUD not showing the goals.
    • Removed one goal on each side due to gamemode's limits.
    • And maybe more.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  6. FrostHoneyJuice

Positive Ratings:
    Screenshots have been updated on this thread as well.